The Oyster Farmer 1 job is our entry-level position for employees farming our oysters. Employees should be comfortable working as a part of team both in the packing plant and out on the river in all weather conditions. Oyster Farm Workers are supervised by the River Leadership Team. The leadership team currently consists of our Plant Manager, Assistant Plant Manager, River Foreman, and our Gear Manager. The employee in this role should be able to effectively follow directions. This position exposes employees to an array of duties on the farm, from harvesting, cleaning, sorting, and packing oysters to seed handling, biofouling control, as well as raising and sinking gear. Most of the jobs on the farm are physically demanding; there should be no aversion to manual labor.
321 State Rt 129, Walpole, ME 04573
Number of openings for this position:
1 - 2
- 8–10 hour shifts
- 6 AM – 2 PM
- Monday - Friday
- Occasional weekend shifts
- Working Holidays (Ability to “Bank” them for later use)
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Health savings account
Education and Experience
Prior experience or relevant education and related experience are not required. We can train the right person who has an interest in the work we’re doing, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic. This is a great opportunity to learn more about large-scale oyster farming!
This position requires an average of eight hours per day of standing and moving, and requires physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete tasks in the plant and on the river. The position requires an ability to lift push and/or pull up to 50 pounds, and the manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of equipment. Should be able to tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with oyster farming.
This position offers the opportunity to learn and practice skills that are required for our aquaculture farm’s success. Employees are not expected to come into the job with any previous aquaculture experience but are expected to learn those skills effectively and in a timely manner. They should be able to follow directions from their supervisors and work at a reasonable pace and in a cooperative manner toward our staff’s collective goals.
- Sort, wash, and pack oysters in fulfillment of orders per the direction of the Plant Manager.
- Accurately measure and fill seed into our harvest bags and deploy them at our river leases.
- Harvest market-size oysters and restock inventory per the direction of the River Leadership Team.
- Carry out biofouling management plan by flipping cages per the direction of the River Leadership Team.
- Raise and sink gear in accordance with our overwintering plan.
- Aid in repairing gear as needed both on land and on water.
- Uphold sanitation and safety regulations within the packing plant and on the water while working on our river leases.
- Take direction from supervisors and give a solid effort as a member of our team.
- Take accountability for actions and work to follow through on Mook Sea Farm’s efforts.
- Improve on initial efficiencies.
- Be available and flexible for work outside of 8 hours or 5 days a week
- Maintain a clean/organized locker space.
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Comply with all Mook Sea Farm standards and policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Teamwork & collaboration, as well as the ability to take ownership of tasks and work independently.
- Flexibility and ability to follow directions.
- Clear and direct communication.
- Ability to think critically and systematically and problem solve.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Previous experience with manual labor is a plus.
- Willingness to work in a variety of challenging conditions.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume, and two references to Ethan Wegrecki at [email protected]. Applications are accepted starting immediately and will be reviewed as they are received. Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We follow state and federal CDC guidelines regarding mask-wearing, social distancing, and sanitizing. All new employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and are expected to present their Vaccine Record Card on their first day of employment.