Mook Sea Farm is seeking a full-time Facilities Technician to be part of the team that oversees and maintains many crucial systems related to our operations. The individual who fills this position should thrive in a fast-paced work environment that offers various unique challenges.
We rear the Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) from egg to adult size. For over 35 years we have pursued our goals of understanding the life cycle of the Eastern oyster and raising the best oysters from seed to market size. Our hatchery produces around 100 million juvenile oysters (seed) annually for sale to other oyster growers along the East Coast and for our own cultivation of Moondancers™, which are sold all over the continental United States. This is an opportunity to be a part of a team of people who are passionate about oysters and the future of aquaculture in Maine.
Please check out our website to learn more about us: mookseafarm.com
Facilities Technicians are multi-skilled problem solvers that perform a variety of repair and maintenance duties for the equipment and grounds at Mook Sea Farm. They participate in projects that improve processes and the efficiency of production for oysters. Mook Sea Farm primarily operates in 3 areas; an aquaculture hatchery, a packing plant for shellfish processing and shipment, and on the Damariscotta River at various lease sites accessible by boat. Facilities staff work to maintain systems and equipment used in all 3 areas. Mook Sea Farm places a high priority on continuous improvement and environmentally responsible practices, so all tasks and projects should be carried out with an eye toward those goals. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Upkeep and maintenance of Mook Sea Farm grounds and equipment.
- Completion of scheduled preventative maintenance on systems and equipment.
- Fabrication of custom equipment using various materials (wood, metal, plastic, fiberglass).
- Organization and management of inventory of tools, spare parts, and equipment.
- Collaboration with the facilities manager on larger projects that require 2 or more people.
- Development and maintenance of crucial records and documentation including but not limited to: machinery manuals, standard operating procedures, and maintenance schedules.
- Collection and analysis of data related to operational efficiency and output.
- Alarm maintenance and response (this will sometimes require work after hours, see below for more information).
- Maintenance of a clean work environment and promotion of environmentally responsible practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Continuous awareness of operations and consistent proactive review of your surroundings to check for and correct possible failures.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as an ability to learn and take ownership of tasks and work independently.
- Ability to follow strict protocols and checklists that have been established as standard operating procedures for Mook Sea Farm.
- Ability to identify problems, analyze the cause, and collaboratively create solutions.
- Clear and direct communication.
- Ability to think critically and systematically.
- Previous experience with basic carpentry, plumbing, and/or electrical work is a plus.
- Boat maintenance, including fiberglass work, minor engine maintenance and repair is a plus.
- Building management, including systems control and operation, and mechanical maintenance
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Education and Experience
- Relevant experience or education is required.
- The facility's work is unique and on-the-job training will be provided.
- Requires an average of eight hours per day of standing and moving.
- Must have physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete jobs in various areas.
- Must be able to lift, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of equipment.
- Should be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with the farm.
- Reports to: Facilities Manager.
Schedule and Pay
This is a full-time job, five days per week. Daily shifts are approximately 8 hours, to begin at 8am. There is a possibility of some flexibility, such as a Tuesday-Saturday schedule once training is complete, but the schedule is currently Monday-Friday.
It is important to note that this position requires a flexible work schedule that may vary in the number of hours worked in a day, or in which the stop times may vary. The employee will also be expected to be available for pre-scheduled “on-call” shifts, responding to system alarms as necessary.
This is an hourly position; compensation is determined based on experience. There are opportunities for pay increases after training and demonstration of competency and the ability to work as a team member.
Pay Range: $19 - $22/hour
The following benefits are offered to all full-time, permanent employees: Health, Dental, Vision, and Short-term Disability insurance, Paid time off, and a retirement contribution.
Work Location: 321 State Route 129 Walpole, ME 04573
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume to Ethan Wegrecki (HR & Admin Manager) and Rich Smith (Facilities Manager).
Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.