Mook Sea Farm is seeking a full-time Facilities Assistant to be part of the team that maintains many crucial systems related to our operations. The individual who fills this position should thrive in a fast-paced work environment that offers different and unique challenges.
We rear the Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) from egg to adult size. For over 35 years we have pursued our goals of understanding the life cycle of the Eastern oyster and raising the best oysters from seed to market size. Our hatchery produces around 100 million juvenile oysters (seed) annually for sale to other oyster growers along the East Coast and for our own cultivation of Moondancers™, which are sold all over the continental United States. This is an opportunity to be a part of a team of people who are passionate about oysters and the future of aquaculture in Maine.
Please check out our website to learn more about us: mookseafarm.com
Facilities Assistants perform routine scheduled maintenance on farm equipment/production systems and fix minor repairs related to the operations of our hatchery and farm. Mook Sea Farm places a high priority on continuous improvement and environmentally responsible practices, so all tasks and projects should be carried out with an eye toward those goals. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Upkeep of Mook Sea Farm grounds and equipment.
- Completion of scheduled preventative maintenance on systems and equipment.
- Aid in the fabrication of custom equipment using various materials (wood, metal, plastic, fiberglass).
- Maintain an organized inventory of tools and spare parts.
- Work as part of a team on larger projects that require 2 or more people.
- Perform repairs on farm equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as an ability to learn and take ownership of tasks and work independently.
- Ability to follow protocols and checklists that have been established as standard operating procedures for Mook Sea Farm.
- Clear and direct communication.
- Ability to think critically and systematically.
- Previous experience with basic carpentry, plumbing, and/or electrical work is a plus.
- Boat maintenance, including fiberglass work, minor engine maintenance and repair is a plus.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Education and Experience
Work in the facilities department at Mook Sea Farm is unique and employees in the assistant role are expected to bring a positive attitude and a willingness to learn with them to work every day. On-the-job training will be provided. Relevant experience is a plus.
- Requires an average of eight hours per day of standing and moving.
- Must have physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete jobs in various areas.
- Must be able to lift, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of equipment.
- Should be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with the farm.
- Reports to: Facilities Manager.
Schedule and Pay
This is a full-time job, five days per week. Daily shifts are approximately 8 hours from 8AM - 4PM. There is a possibility of some flexibility, such as a Tuesday-Saturday schedule once training is complete, but the schedule is currently Monday-Friday.
This is an hourly position; pay will be considered based on experience. Opportunities for pay increases become available after training and demonstration of competency and the ability to work as a team member.
Pay Range: $17 - $19/hour
The following benefits are offered to all full-time, permanent employees: Health, Dental, Vision, and Short-term Disability insurance, Paid time off, and a retirement contribution.
Work Location: 321 State Route 129 Walpole, ME 04573
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume to Ethan Wegrecki (HR & Admin Manager) and Rich Smith (Facilities Manager).
Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.