Nauti Sisters Sea Farm hiring a part time intern for both the summer and fall of 2023 through the University of Southern Maine's Career Exploration Internship Program. This is only open to students matriculated at USM. The Career Exploration Internship Program is a paid program hosted by the Career & Employment Hub. These internships allow students to directly apply their classroom learning and build on-the-job skills in a professional setting. Student interns gain valuable workplace experience and make connections in their field.
Nauti Sisters Sea Farm is looking for positive, self-motivated individuals who are interested in gaining hands-on job experience while learning about sustainable shellfish farming.
About the Farm
Owned and operated by Alicia Gaiero and supported by her sisters. We are a shellfish farm located off of Little John Island in Yarmouth, Maine with a reputation for quality. Our goals are simple: to use low impact farming methods to grow a premium oyster, have fun on the water and give back to our environment.
Our goal is to work collaboratively with our intern to design a project that meets our needs and utilizes their strengths and experience. We have a few projects in mind that we may like to tackle over the summer and fall of 2023. These include oyster growth rate analysis, water quality monitoring data collection and comparing oyster growth rates between our site locations and gear types. We are open to collaborate beyond these ideas as well.
No experience with shellfish aquaculture is required, but applicants must meet the qualifications listed below. Our interns learn a variety of aspects of working on an oyster farm.
- Learn what characterizes a great oyster and how to sort oysters by size and quality
- Learn techniques for farming different oyster species in a variety of locations with multiple growing methods
- Assist with general maintenance and cleaning tasks
- Learn how to care for oyster seed
- Participate in the harvesting process and deliveries.
- Participate in post-harvest processing and fulfillment operations
- Become familiar with operating boats and other farm-related equipment.
- Optional: make connections between farm to table and learn about shucking and serving oysters in restaurants through events.
- You must be able to work flexible hours.
- You are comfortable working in inclement outdoor conditions.
- This is a physically demanding active job which at times involves extended periods of repetitive and strenuous work.
- Applicants should be able to lift and handle 50 pounds without difficulty and be able to work in physically challenging indoor and outdoor environments.
- Individuals must adhere to all safety standards.
- You must be able to speak/understand English and communicate respectfully with coworkers.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Schedule and Pay:
This a part time position of approximately 12 hours a week for $18 an hour in partnership with USM Career Exploration Internship Program.
University of Southern Maine students must login to this link in order to apply.