About the farm
Hollander and de Koning is a multi-generational family-owned and operated mussel farm in Trenton, Maine. In the spring of 2021 we purchased an oyster farm, and over the last few years have learned how to run at a seeding level of 500,000 oysters per year.
We are looking for an energetic, and reliable farm manager with an excellent work ethic to conduct and manage some of the day-to-day farming operations. This includes stock management and rotation, sorting, culling and grading oysters, landing market-sized products, and managing biofouling. The farm crew, which varies from 2 (including the manager) to 5 based on the time of year and day of the week will report directly to you. This is a 5-day-a-week, 40hr per week position from April through October. For the right candidate year-round work may be available doing gear work and helping in the mussel packaging facility. The pay rate is $25-35/hr depending on experience and qualifications.
● Minimum 3 years experience working on an oyster farm.
● Valid driver's license.
● Clear and direct communication.
● Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
● Willingness to work outside in a variety of conditions from April-October.
● Physical strength to be on your feet all day on the water, as well as the ability to lift, push, and pull up to 50lb.
● Must be able to swim
● Must live, or relocate within a reasonable commuting distance to the farm before employment starts.
● Safe boat handling skills in inshore waters.
● Safely and productively leading a 2-5 person farm team
● Running the oyster barge (27ft catamaran)
● Plan the daily schedule around when the farm is accessible
● Raising and lowering cages
● Measuring out and deploying seed
● Sorting through the cages and cleaning the oysters
● Harvesting market oysters
● Record keeping, which includes QC, and inventory tracking
● Flipping the cages in accordance with the biofouling management strategy
● Fix, maintain and deploy new gear as needed.
● Landing, tumbling, and re-bagging oysters as they grow.
● Working with the executive team on increasing farm efficiency, and evaluating new, and existing technology, and equipment.
● Manage supplies needed for the oyster farm, and associated vessels.
Please email [email protected] with a resume, and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be a good fit for this position. We are expecting to receive applications through Mid to late March, and have hired someone in April.