Quahog Bay Conservancy (QBC) is looking to hire three seasonal marine-related degree interns for technical and research projects as well as assist our largest conservation initiatives. QBC, located in Harpswell, Maine is a 501 c(3) non-profit organization committed to marine conservation through sustainable aquaculture, ecosystem research, and community education programs.
Ideal candidates will work from June to late August 2023
- Housing and competitive salary available
Application Deadline: March 15th
Interns will assist in all QBC conservation initiatives, including field technician for Snow Island Oysters. As a member of the oyster farming crew, expect to spending time at QBC's two farming locations in Quahog Bay and the Harpswell Sound. Under the supervision of a full-time employee, successful applicants will be responsible for farm operations which include, but is not limited to:
- Sorting and cleaning oysters at all life stages
- Flipping, raising and sinking cages, cleaning and repairing gear
- Preparing oysters for market and delivering to vendors
- Assisting in scientific studies and entering farm management data
Using state of the art equipment to determine microplastics in bivalves and fish, plastic identification, and other scientific studies. Training on scientific equipment: Agilent 8700 LDIR Chemical Imaging System, Shimadzu IRXross FTIR Spectrometer, Agilent AIM-9000 FTIR Microscope, Zeiss Stemi 305 Microscope. Students will be expected to write white papers on all research projects.
Other Potential Research Projects, Training, and Field Trips:
- EDNA Research on Green Crabs and Crab Tagging
- Autonomous Vehicle Introduction and Field Demo
- Ecosystem Field Research
- Fabrication Lab Experience to include welding familiarization in steel and aluminum
- Field Trips: Gulf of Maine Research Institute and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
Conditions of Employment:
- Work in all weather conditions; Swim and be comfortable in various ocean conditions
- Lift and handle a minimum of 601bs.
- Must have reliable transportation and ability to work weekends if needed
- Understand and follow instructions from supervisors and must be accountable for your work
- Maintain proper employee conduct being aware of surroundings and respectful of the noise level
Please submit a resume with two references to [email protected] with the email subject line:
2023 Conservation Intern Application Attention: Stacy.
If you have any questions or would like further information, please contact Quahog Bay Conservancy:
email: [email protected]
Or visit our website at www.quahogbay.org