The Oyster Farmer job is our entry-level position for employees farming our oysters. Employees should be comfortable working as a part of team both in the packing plant and out on the river in all weather conditions. Oyster Farmers are supervised by the River Leadership Team. The leadership team currently consists of our Plant Manager, Assistant Plant Manager, and River Foreman. The employee in this role should be able to effectively follow direction. This position exposes employees to an array of duties on the farm, from harvesting, cleaning, sorting, and packing oysters to seed handling, biofouling control, as well as raising and sinking gear. Most of the jobs on the farm are physically demanding; there should be no aversion to manual labor.
Location: 321 State Rt 129, Walpole, ME 04573
Job type: Full-time
Number of openings for this position: 1 - 3
- 8–10hour shifts
- 6AM – 2PM
- Monday - Friday
- Occasional weekend shifts
- Working Holidays (Ability to “Bank” them for later use)
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Short-term disability
- Retirement plan
- Health savings account
Education and Experience
Prior experience or relevant education and related experience is not required. We can train the right person who has an interest in the work we’re doing, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic. This is a great opportunity to learn more about large-scale oyster farming!
This position requires an average of eight hours per day of standing and moving, and requires physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete tasks in the plant and on the river. The position requires an ability to lift push and/or pull up to 50 pounds, and the manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of equipment. Should be able to tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with oyster farming.
This position offers the opportunity to learn and practice skills that are required for our aquaculture farm’s success. Employees are not expected to come into the job with any previous aquaculture experience but are expected to learn those skills effectively and in a timely manner. They should be able to follow directions from their supervisors and work at a reasonable pace and in a cooperative manner towards our staffs’ collective goals.
- Sort, wash, and pack oysters in fulfillment of orders per direction of Plant Manager.
- Accurately measure and fill seed into our harvest bags and deploy them at our river leases.
- Harvest market sized oysters and restock inventory per direction of River Leadership Team.
- Carry out biofouling management plan by flipping cages per direction of River Leadership Team.
- Raise and sink gear in accordance with our overwintering plan.
- Aid in repairing gear as needed both on land and on water.
- Uphold sanitation and safety regulations within the packing plant and on the water while working on our river leases.
- Take direction from supervisors and give a solid effort as member of our team.
- Take accountability for actions and work to follow-through on Mook Sea Farm’s efforts.
- Improve on initial efficiencies.
- Be available and flexible for work outside of 8 hours or 5 days a week
- Maintain a clean/organized locker space.
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Comply with all Mook Sea Farm standards and policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Teamwork & collaboration, as well as ability to take ownership of tasks and work independently.
- Flexibility and ability to follow direction.
- Clear and direct communication.
- Ability to think critically and systematically and problem solve.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Previous experience with manual labor is a plus.
- Willingness to work in a variety of challenging conditions.
Schedule and Pay
This is a full-time, year-round job with hourly pay and benefits. Our paydays are bi-weekly on Thursdays. The schedule is Monday - Friday every week. The shifts are scheduled for 6am-2pm daily. Daily shifts are approximately 8 hours; however, this position requires a flexible work schedule that may vary in the number of hours worked in a day, or in which the stop times may vary because we are responsible for live oysters. Holiday and weekend work is required on a rotation with other personnel and employees can "bank" holidays for future Paid Time Off.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume, and two references to Ethan Wegrecki at [email protected] Applications are accepted starting immediately and will be reviewed as they are received. Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We follow state and federal CDC guidelines regarding mask wearing, social distancing, and sanitizing. All new employee’s must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and are expected to present their Vaccine Record Card on their first day of employment.