Mook Sea Farm continually strives to improve quality, efficiency, capacity, and diversification of microalgae and seed production through standardized procedures, great attention to detail, problem solving, and ongoing research and development. Our Hatchery Technicians are expected to carry out daily tasks with an eye towards continuous process improvement, scientific observation, and discussion. Hatchery Technicians are primarily responsible for the care of millions of larval and juvenile oysters growing in a variety of culture systems at Mook Sea Farm. Hatchery Technicians are assisted in their daily tasks by our Hatchery Assistants and are expected to bring a level of expertise to the job. Duties include cleaning and maintaining tanks and equipment, carefully following standard operating procedures (SOPs) and checklists, monitoring hatchery production data, participating in larval and juvenile shellfish husbandry, and performing basic and advanced culturing of microalgae. We are seeking an experienced aquaculture technician to join our team, put your skills and experience to use by joining the staff of one of the largest oyster farms in New England! This opening will be filled by December 2022, but we are open to hiring the right candidates early if they require that accommodation. Employees hired before December will spend the first few months working with our grow-out operations team as an Oyster Farmer until the hatchery season begins for 2023.
Location: 321 State Rt 129, Walpole, ME 04573
Job type: Full-time
Number of openings for this position: 1
- 8–10hour shifts
- Generally, Monday – Friday
- Working Holidays (Ability to “Bank” them for later use)
- Weekend shifts on a rotating basis with other technicians/managers, roughly once every 7-8 weekends
- Required availability & response to alarm calls within 1 hour of receiving a call on a rotating basis with other technicians /managers
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Short-term disability
- Retirement plan
- Health savings account
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Teamwork & collaboration, as well as ability to take ownership of tasks and work independently.
- Ability to follow strict protocols.
- Ability to multitask effectively.
- Ability to complete tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Clear and direct communication.
- Ability to work systematically, think critically, and problem solve.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to and from work is required.
- Willingness to work in a variety of challenging conditions.
- Understanding of scientific method and data collection is required.
Education and Experience
Relevant education or experience working in a hatchery is required. Prior experience working in a fast-paced environment doing manual labor is required. We will provide on the job training to teach our Hatchery Technicians our standard operating procedures. Employees are expected to have an interest in the work we’re doing, a positive attitude, and a great attention to detail. Hatchery Technicians should have no aversion to manual labor and work that is dirty in nature. This is a great opportunity to work on a team that produces millions of oyster seed annually and supports oyster farm operations all throughout New England, including Mook Sea Farm!
This position requires an average of eight hours per day of standing and moving through tight spaces, and requires physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete work in the hatchery. The position requires an ability to lift, push, and/or pull up to 50 pounds, and requires manual dexterity to operate a variety of equipment. Employees should be able to tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with the hatchery. We use bleach and a variety of other cleaning supplies to carry out daily hatchery tasks. The work involves a lot of equipment maintenance, and the work can be dirty.
- Manage and Maintain Mook Sea Farm’s Broodstock.
- Operate our Sea Water System in manual and automatic mode while maintaining processed water integrity.
- Larval and seed oyster husbandry.
- Clean screens, tanks, and equipment.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures with a keen attention to detail.
- Consistently follow procedures covered in our Hatchery Manual.
- Develop competence in all phases of our various microalgal production techniques.
- Understand and use scientific method while collecting data.
- Respond to Alarm Calls in a timely manner (within 1 hour, day or night), when on-call (in rotation with other technicians/managers).
Schedule and Pay
This is a full time, year-round job with hourly pay and benefits. Our paydays are bi-weekly on Thursdays. We are looking to hire one Hatchery Technician. The schedule is Monday - Friday every week. The shifts are scheduled for 8am-4pm daily. Daily shifts are approximately 8 hours; however, this position requires a flexible work schedule that may vary in the number of hours worked in a day, or in which the stop times may vary because we are responsible for live oysters. Holiday and weekend work is required on a rotation with other hatchery personnel and employees can "bank" holidays for future Paid Time Off. Technicians are expected to be available for “on-call” shifts that are scheduled on a rotation with other Hatchery Technicians, and it is essential that they are available to respond to system alarms as necessary. During times of the year when the hatchery is operating with a reduced load (August – December), the responsibilities shift to include hatchery maintenance and preparation for the next hatchery season. Depending on company needs, the responsibilities may shift to work on our river crew as an Oyster Farmer, raising market oysters.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume, and two references to Ethan Wegrecki and Meredith White at [email protected] and [email protected] Applications are accepted starting immediately and will be reviewed as they are received. Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We follow state and federal CDC guidelines regarding mask wearing, social distancing, and sanitizing. All new employee’s must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and are expected to present their Vaccine Record Card on their first day of employment.