The Packing Plant Operations Manager at Mook Sea Farm is responsible for the management of people and workflow processes within the packing plant from the time our oysters are harvested until they are loaded onto our truck for distribution. This includes inventory management as well as leading a team through grading and packing orders accurately, on-time, and to Mook Sea Farm standards. It is crucial that the individual in this position can manage the product and also has the skills to organize and motivate a team of people.
- Thorough understanding of the sales and inventory apps; collaborate with Director of Sales for order fulfillment.
- Daily management of orders and associated paperwork; ability to adjust/problem solve on the fly and communicate plans and changes to packing plant team.
- Carry out compliance with all HACCP protocols, understanding all health and safety regulations, including Mook Sea Farm’s QC plan.
- Manage our Oyster Inventory Room (OIR), maintaining inventory and conditions to ensure the safety and health of the animals in the system.
- Work closely with the Grow-Out Operations Manager to plan the daily harvesting/put back operations accordingly.
- Maintenance and upkeep of equipment utilized in the plant, in collaboration with Facilities Manager.
- Participate in Mook Sea Farm’s R&D initiatives as needed, including contributing to the establishment of priorities.
- Opportunity to participate in/contribute to integration of new technologies related to harvesting and processing market oysters.
- Uphold Mook Sea Farm standards and policies and carry out work in alignment with our Mission and Vision.
- Management of crew, including training new hires, monitoring performance, recommending individuals for recognition or promotion and reporting poor performance or the need for corrective action.
- Supervise Assistant Plant Manager and approximately 8 other employees.
- This position reports to the Director of Production.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Prior experience working with shellfish and/or experience managing a seafood processing plant are preferred, however we are willing to train the right person on our plant operations. Candidates should have experience managing teams of people in a labor-intensive environment where attention to detail is of the utmost importance and should have a positive attitude and collaborative approach to problem solving. We are seeking someone who takes pride in their work, has great communication skills, and maintains an even keel under pressure.
Physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete jobs in various areas. Ability to lift, push and/or pull at least 50 pounds; manual dexterity to operate a variety of equipment. Ability to tolerate exposure to typical noises and smells associated with a farm. Some desk work and a valid driver’s license required.
Schedule and Pay
This is a full-time position with benefits, 6am-2pm, Monday-Friday, averaging 40 hours per week. However, this position requires a flexible work schedule that will include hours above 40 per week, as well as occasional weekend work. Pay will be commensurate with experience and reflective of the crucial role this person will play in the success of the farm.
How to Apply
For full job description, or to apply please send a cover letter, your resume, and three references to: Moira Foley ([email protected]). Applications are accepted starting immediately; flexibility in start date. Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please visit our website to learn more about our mission and vision.