Mook Sea Farm, an oyster hatchery and farm on the Damariscotta River, is hiring for a full-time, permanent position on our farm crew. Individuals in this department care for the oyster seed once it leaves our hatchery, through to when it reaches market size and is harvested and packed for our customers. This means you will be involved in the seed nursery, sorting and grading seed, biofouling control and maintenance of the oysters and gear on our leases, and the harvesting, sorting, and packing of our oysters for our wholesale customers. Mook Sea Farm harvests year-round, so you will be out on the water in a variety of weather conditions. Applicants for this position should be comfortable working on boats, and ideally have experience in marine vessel operation and safety, or demonstrate a willingness to learn.
Primary Responsibilities, under direction of managers:
- Seed care: sorting and grading oyster seed.
- Carry out biofouling management plan.
- Aid in repairing gear as needed both on land and on the water.
- Harvest market sized oysters and restock inventory.
- Sort, wash, and pack oysters in fulfillment of wholesale orders.
- Raise and sink gear in accordance with overwintering plan.
- Uphold sanitation and safety regulations around the farm, in the packing plant, and on the water while working on our leases.
- Comply with all Mook Sea Farm standards and policies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Prior experience in the aquaculture industry is not required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as an ability to learn and take ownership of tasks when directed.
- Ability to follow protocols.
- Clear communication.
- Ability to think critically and systematically.
- Positive attitude focused on problem solving.
- Requires average of eight hours per day of standing and moving.
- Must have physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete jobs in various areas.
- Must be able to lift, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of equipment.
- Should be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with the farm.
- None- Reports to Packing Plant Manager and River Manager.
Schedule and Pay
This is a full-time, permanent position, eligible for benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement contribution match, and paid time off. Hours are typically Monday-Friday 6am-2pm, however due to the nature of farming work your start and stop time may vary. Weekend and holiday work may be required from time to time. Mook Sea Farm offers competitive pay, with opportunity for increase after the completion of training and demonstration of competency.
Please email Moira Foley with your resume, a cover letter, and two references: [email protected] Mook Sea Farm is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).