Mook Sea Farm is seeking a full time Facilities Technician to be part of the team that oversees and maintains many crucial systems related to our operations. The individual who fills this position will work on projects across the business, including in the hatchery and as part of our wholesale market oyster farm. We rear the Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) from egg to adult size. Our hatchery produces over 120 million juvenile oysters (seed) annually for sale to other oyster growers along the East Coast from North Carolina to Maine, and for our own cultivation of Moondancers™, which are sold all over the continental United States. This is an opportunity to be a part of a team of people who are passionate about oysters and the future of aquaculture in Maine. Please check out our website to learn more about us: mookseafarm.com
Working in the facilities department your duties will include any and all projects related to the running of our hatchery and farm. Mook Sea Farm places a high priority on continuous improvement and environmentally responsible practices, so all tasks and projects should be carried out with an eye towards those goals.
- Upkeep and maintenance of Mook Sea Farm grounds and equipment.
- Completion of scheduled preventative maintenance on systems and equipment.
- Aid in fabrication of custom equipment using various materials (wood, metal, plastic, fiberglass).
- Under supervision of facilities manager, organize and manage inventory of tools, spare parts, equipment.
- Develop and maintain crucial records and documentation including but not limited to: machinery manuals, standard operating procedures, and maintenance schedules.
- Collect and analyze data related to operational efficiency and output.
- Alarm maintenance and response (this will sometimes require work after hours, see below FMI)
- Maintenance of a clean work environment and promotion of environmentally responsible practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Continuous awareness of operations and consistent proactive review of your surroundings to check for and correct possible failures.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as an ability to learn and take ownership of tasks and work independently.
- Ability to follow strict protocols and checklists that have been established as standard operating procedures for Mook Sea Farm
- Ability to identify problems, analyze the cause, and collaboratively create solutions.
- Clear communication.
- Ability to think critically and systematically.
- Previous experience with basic carpentry, plumbing, and/or electrical work is a plus.
- Boat maintenance, including fiberglass work, minor engine maintenance and repair.
- Building management, including systems control and operation, and mechanical maintenance
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Education and Experience High school diploma, trade school, or college diploma. 1-2 years related experience is required.
- Requires an average of eight hours per day of standing and moving.
- Must have physical strength, balance, hand-eye coordination, and stamina necessary to complete jobs in various areas.
- Must be able to lift, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity as needed to operate a variety of equipment.
- Should be able to work in a variety of weather conditions and tolerate exposure to typical noises associated with the farm.
- None. Reports to: Facilities Manager.
This is a full-time job, five days per week. Daily shifts are approximately 8 hours, to begin at 8am. There is a possibility of some flexibility, such as a Tuesday-Saturday schedule once training is complete, but the schedule is currently Monday-Friday. It is important to note that this position requires a flexible work schedule that may vary in the number of hours worked in a day, or in which the stop times may vary. The employee will also be expected to be available for pre-scheduled “on-call” shifts, responding to system alarms as necessary.
This is an hourly position; pay will be commensurate with experience, with the opportunity for pay increases after training and demonstration of competency and the ability to work as a team member.
The following benefits are offered to all full-time, permanent employees: Health, Dental, and Vision insurance, Paid time off, and a retirement contribution.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume, and three references to Moira Foley ([email protected]). Mook Sea Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.